From their fashionable designs and comfortable nature to the positive impacts they can have on your health like, reducing your proneness to flu and fungal infections, slippers are things you will hardly ever miss in any household.
However, you will agree that once slippers become dirty, slipping into them is quite a turn-off.
Moreover, dirty slippers may even increase your likelihood of contracting fungal infections.
Thus we are here to offer useful information on how to clean slippers.
As such, this article will detail to you:
- Tips to know before cleaning slippers.
- What to use while cleaning slippers;
- How to clean various slippers types;
- How often to clean slippers.
Now, let’s begin!
Special Tips to Know Before Cleaning
Before you start cleaning your slippers, you should keep the following tips in mind:
a) Different slippers types require varied cleaning techniques.
b) Clean slippers once heavy soil or odors become apparent.
c) Never machine wash slippers before confirming if they are machine washable.
d) Always have a different pair of slippers to use while you wash one pair. If this is impossible, find something different to use or wash them when you do not intend to move about much.
For different types of slippers, you may check their unique cleaning method here:
What Do You Need?
Before cleaning your slippers, gather the following materials and equipment:
- Saddle soap
- Suede cleaner
- Laundry detergent
- Leather conditioner
- Wool wash
- Baby wipes
- Baking soda
- A large sink or a washing machine
- Drying clothes rack
- Soft cloth
- Suede brush
However, note that these materials are for use in cleaning all slippers types. Therefore, only use what your slippers types require. Moreover, if you cannot find the suitable materials listed above, you can look for their alternatives.
How Often to Clean Slippers?
How often you will clean your slippers depends on the following factors:
“Whether you wear your slippers outside;
“Whether you suffer from foot odor or fungal infections;
“Whether you put on socks before wearing your slippers;
If you fall in the first two categories, you will have to wash your slippers regularly. In the first instance, once a week will suffice if you only use the slippers outside. However, if you walk with them in muddy places, you have to clean them once you get home.
If you are in the second category, washing them every three days will be good for your feet’s health.
If you are in the third category, you might only wash your slippers once a month.
However, always ensure you wash your slippers at the slightest whiff of odor or if heavy soil is apparent.
Tips to Keep Slippers Clean
- Clean slippers regularly as per the above instructions.
- After work, never change into slippers directly. Put on a pair of clean socks before doing so.
- Own at least two pairs of slippers so you can rotate them to prevent one pair from becoming dirty quickly.
- Avoid wearing slippers outside.
- Use stain-resistant sprays to protect your suede slippers.
#Can You Put Slippers in the Washing Machine?
As you will realize in the article, some slippers are ok to put in a washing machine while others are not. Therefore, always follow the manufacturers’ instructions before attempting to machine wash any slippers.
#Can You Machine Wash Slippers with Rubber Soles?
Never machine wash rubber-soled slippers, especially if they have fuzzy inner layers to prevent their destruction. Moreover, the rubber soles will fall apart from the slippers.
#Can I Wash My Slippers with the Inserts In?
Washing slippers inserts is as important as washing the slippers themselves, and there are various methods you can use, as you will shortly see. However, though it is possible, I would not recommend washing your slippers with the inserts in as the inserts will hamper your cleaning resulting in an ineffective cleaning process.
Process for cleaning slippers inserts – Cleaning using soap and warm water
- Fill your sink with warm water.
- Add a liquid detergent or soap to the warm water.
- Scrub the slipper inserts using a soft-bristled brush
- Drain the soapy water in your sink
- Fill the sink with fresh water.
- Rinse the inserts till they are no longer soapy
- Air-dry the inserts
#How Do I Remove Laundry Detergent from Fluffy Slippers?
After cleaning your fluffy slippers, you might find yourself being a victim of laundry detergent stains.
In such a scenario:
Mix one quart of water with one cup of vinegar in a sink.
Damp a piece of cloth using the above mixture and spot clean the stains till they come off.
Rinse the slippers and let them air-dry
Detergent stains occur due to inadequate rinsing of your slippers. Therefore, rinse your slippers as thoroughly as possible to avoid detergent stains.
#When Should You Replace Your Slippers?
Regardless of the type of slippers you get, each is bound to stretch and wear out over time. If you wear slippers most of the time, the wearing is bound to be a higher one hence faster replacement. Typically, replace average slippers used averagely once a year and if you are very active and use slippers often outdoors, expect to replace yours twice a year.
However, slippers replacement depends on how you use them and how fast your feet grow. The moment you feel the slippers are no longer comfortable for you, replace them.
#Can Slippers Go in the Drier?
Driers use very high temperatures to enable things placed in them to dry faster. However, though this is also applicable to slippers, NEVER place your slippers in a drier as the drier will melt the adhesive used in binding the slippers together. If you put your slippers in a drier, they will come out dry. However, you will have to buy a new pair. Therefore, always air-dry your slippers. It will take longer, but air-drying is the best way to dry slippers.
#What if My Slippers Smell?
Visiting somebody’s house knowing that your slippers have an odor that might knock everyone in the vicinity out can be so embarrassing. However, to avoid such awkward situations, instead of cooking up an excuse not to get into the house, use water and vinegar as follows:
- Make a water-vinegar solution by mixing the two in equal parts in a basin.
- Take your inserts and soak them in the solution. If the inserts have too strong an odor, consider adding a few drops of essential oils to the mixture.
- Pour the water and add fresh water into the basin.
- Rinse the inserts
- Air-dry the inserts
#How to Clean Ugg Slipper Soles?
To clean ugg slipper soles:
- Use a suede brush to remove all the soil on the slipper.
- Use a clean piece of microfiber cloth to clean the slippers.
- If odor emanates from the slipper, ensure you obtain a suitable spray to spray after every use.
- Let the slippers air-dry in a ventilated room.
- Use the suede brush to brush the slippers back to the desired appearance, keeping in mind to brush in one direction.
Slippers give us comfort, amongst numerous other benefits. However, failure to adequately clean and care for them will result in uncomfortable and potentially fungal harboring slippers. Therefore, follow the above instructions to have clean and comfortable slippers.